The holidays are here and many of you are wondering, "What can I get for my bellydancing spouse/friend/family member?" I put together my first list of suggestions a few years ago, now let's add to it:
For beginners (keep it simple, she's just getting started!):
- Search for these items at Bellydance.com: square sequins scarf, turquoise finger cymbals (small or medium), chiffon veil.
- Gift certificate to continue classes.
Advanced beginners (dancing at least 6 months) likely already have a few hipscarves and such, so try:
- A DVD focused on learning improvisation techniques.
- "The Heartbeat of Bellydance" - drum solo instructional DVD.
- "Arab Folk Dance" by Karim Nagi.
- "Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Practice Companion" DVD.
For intermediate/advanced dancers:
- Cash for that workshop she's been talking about for weeks. (Wrap it up in a special little cymbal pouch from Bellydance.com. Search for "zill bag.")
- Gift certificate for your local cosmetics store (Ulta, Sephora, MAC).
- "Egyptian Music Appreciation" set from Bellydance.com.
- Ranya Renee's instructional DVDs, such as "Bellydance Taqasim."
- "Rhythms of Oriental Dance" by Nesma of Spain.